Saturday, August 30, 2008

The trail to tennis

Friday afternoon, my sister Bethany dropped me off at the Bethel, CT train station. I was on my way to meet my friend Matt in our almost annual pilgrimage to the US Open. Earlier in the day, Danny told me it would be "really easy" to transfer trains on the way from Bethel to Grand Central in NYC.

After the transfer, I was thinking ... Danny was right. That wasn't bad at all. But as the stops kept coming and none of them seemed to be anything other than Connecticut towns, I started to wonder if maybe I didn't just get on the wrong train. Sure enough. I was headed 
to Bridgport, not eve close to Grand Central. I got off and waited for the NYC bound train on the other side of the tracks. Eventually I got to Grand Central and made my way to Penn Station where I was to meet Matt. The whole experience was punctuated when a homeless man vomited on my flip-flop-clad foot. Thank heaven for cleansing wipes, hand sanitizer and the death stare.

But after all that fun, Matt and I spent 12 hours + at the Billy Jean
 King National Tennis Center Friday. We saw amazing tennis and we're ready for more!

4 comments:

amelia said...

Carol-Lyn, you have had the best summer! What a fun trip...despite the train errors.

Carol-Lyn said...

Amelia ... I have LOVED this summer. It really has been packed with fun. I'm really sad that I'm back to reality now and I actually have to really dig in and get back to work! GRRRR!!!

CL said...

Okay, are you serious about getting your foot vomited on?

Carol-Lyn said...

Yeah. Dead serious about the homeless man vomit. I think I have a foot disease ... well, at least I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple of years something pops up and loose a toe from the whole experience.