Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Perfect 10 ... er .. I mean 16.2!!



I haven't spent as much time in front of the TV since I was laid up after knee surgery watching Lost for the first time. The 2008 Olympics has been pretty much addictive and I think I'll end up having to buy a new bulb for my projector by the time the games come to and end. And ... I may just have to award Michelle with a medal -- probably silver, but she still has a few days, so maybe gold -- for viewing prowess.

With the Olympics come great rushes of adrenalin watching athletes like Michael Phelps make history, a tearful moment living through the heartbreaking disappointment of Lolo Jones when the gold seemed just a hurdle away, and scoring confusion. Yep, mathematical mahem. What did they do to the Perfect 10!? You know ... the Perfect 10, as in Nadia and Marilou. I just watched several days of amazing performances, even one or two called "perfect" by some guy who seems to know what he's talking about. And then they pop up some formula for a score that potentially has no limit, but I guess if it's over 16, it's pretty amazing. Oh, pluuhhleeezz! Just give me the 10! I can figure out what a 9.75 means when I know there is a 10 to give me an upper limit! I will say this ... for 8 year olds, the little Chinese girls seem to get it ... great gymnasts AND mathematicians!

All in all, I love the Olympics and now that the gymnastics is over, I can settle down and watch without taxing my math deficient brain.

2 comments:

amelia said...

Yeah, I don't get the scoring thing either. I am going to be quite bummed when the Olympics are over!

Brittany said...

i am with ya and i am pissed! not only have they screwed up the scoring, but the freaking judges have been high, i swear! i don't usually get upset about that stuff, cuz usually the judges are either consistently harsh, or consistently lax... but this time, they deducted points off of really good routines, and didn't deduct off of really bad ones... what is up?? it has been so weird...